Monday, April 7, 2008

Christmas

Christmas

Eat, drink and be merry, so ye olde saying goeth. Eating and drinking does not necessarily guarantee merriment is on the way. Au contraire, over indulgence this week has proven otherwise.

However, eat drink and be with family, whether in person or via technology, certainly does guarantee a substantial degree of merriment. Its been a good Christmas.

Thank you everyone for the great gifts. I have never drunk so much tea (Dan and Lianne) and I’m getting used to wearing my bedclothes all day (Chelsea and Brenton) and how can I not show my appreciation for those wonderful helicoptors (Ben and Eve) which amused Brenton, Daniel, Lianne and Chelsea so well. I did get the feeling that the boys believed the girls’ helicopters were back-ups for when their’s were damaged.

Still I am wondering what Christmas would be like without gifts. Just the gathering together, food, drink, jokes, companionship, shopping at the after sales, decorations, carols, ritual, both church and familial.

Of course, children have to be indulged, but the adults, well... I would just like to try it once, although I don’t believe anyone is game. Any feedback on this is most welcome. Really I mean it, go ahead and say what you think of that idea or where I should shove it!

Speaking of gifts, I found a chocolate in my stocking which, on the packaging, says. “Deep inside me lives a skinny woman, screaming to get out, but I can usually shut the bitch up with some chocolate”. Thank you Dan and Lianne!

And most precious is a calendar simply called “Timothy”. So, I’m guessing gifts aren’t so bad, still we can indulge each other at birthdays, celebrations for accomplishments and so forth, and sometimes just because we want to.

Worth a try.

1 comment:

ec said...

Stockings are the go.

-> Ben